The 58th National Nutrition Day, 25 January 2018
Nutrition is one of the components that must be fulfilled by a nation to create a healthy society, especially during the first 1000 days of life. Children under five who are chronically malnourished will have stunting. Children who are stunted will have a height below the normal growth standards for children of their age.
Stunting is a big threat to the country, because stunting in children under five can affect their brain (cognitive) development. This will reduce children's achievement academically which in turn will have an impact on deteriorating the quality of Indonesian human resources. With the event of the 58th National Nutrition Day (Hari Gizi Nasional/HGN), we can take strategic steps to improve the nutritional status of the community by reducing stunting, as an investment for the nation to create high-quality and highly competitive human resources.
The theme of National Nutrition Day was
Building Nutrition Towards a Healthy and Highly Accomplished Nation, and the 58th National Nutrition Day in 2018 had a sub-theme of
Actualising Family Independence in the First 1000 Days of Life (Hari Pertama Kehidupan/HPK) for Stunting Preventionwith the slogan of Together with Our Families, We Take Care of the First 1000 Days of Life (Hari Pertama Kehidupan/HPK).
The objectives of the 58th Anniversary of National Nutrition 2018 were:
- To increase public knowledge about stunting.
- To increase the commitment and the collaboration work between the government both in the health and non-health sectors at the central, provincial, district / city levels, as well as the private sector in developing food and nutrition.
- To improve the involvement health and non-health professionals, as well as other third parties/partners, in reducing stunting.
- To increase the role of the mass media in the stunting campaign.
- To increase the role of citizen journalism in the problem of stunting prevention to improve poverty in Indonesia.
The time and place of the 58th National Nutrition Day 2018 commemoration starting from 20 January 2018 to mid-2018 throughout Indonesia.
Jakarta, January 2018
Director General of Public Health,
Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia
Dr. Anung Sugihantono, M.Kes